Starr Hill Pathways offers Charlottesville area youth career and college exploration and provides continuing support from rising 7th graders through high school graduation.
Starr Hill Pathways scholars start their journey with a summer, day program on UVA grounds. Youth serving community partners and UVA and Piedmont Virginia Community College units will introduce middle school scholars to different career-oriented pathways, while older high school students participate in internships. We support students through the school year with periodic check-ins, mentorship, and tutoring.
Students selected for Starr Hill Pathways must be registered in Charlottesville City or Albemarle County Public Schools and having guardian permission to participate in summer and school-year programming.
- Summer Programming
The SHP summer experience is split by grade levels. Rising 7th through 9th grade scholars will spend two weeks in our summer camp. During camp, they will spend one full week in a single pathway for full exploration and project completion for the SHP Summer Camp Expo. During the Expo, families are invited to see the work their scholars created while in their pathways.
Rising 10th-12th grade scholars will spend 6 weeks of the summer immersed in paid internships.
- School Year Enrichment Days
During six public school closure days, students spend the day on UVA grounds and the spaces of our numerous community partners. They spend part of the day learning about a specific career pathway (the large group is split into grades and then pathways, roughly 20 scholars per group). Typically, the rest of the day is spent eating lunch and enjoying recreation.
- Academic and Mentoring Support
Mentoring Support: Throughout our school year programming days, our scholars have been provided structured time for self-reflection and mentoring from Starr Hill Pathways staff and program counselors. Topics and activities over the course of the fall have included Growth Mindset, Resilience & Strength Exploration, and Letters to their Future Selves as the scholars continue to learn more about themselves with the guidance of SHP leaders. These facilitated conversations create intentional space for students to both explore and express their overall well-being coupled with envisioning a future of success. Starr Hill Pathways mentors will also begin visiting students at their schools to continue to foster community connection and positive identity development. Recently, our staff and counselors have begun in-school mentoring visits with SHP scholars.
Academic Support: All Starr Hill Pathways scholars have access to tutoring support from UVA students. Tutoring is offered both in person (during or after school hours) and virtually.
- 7th - 9th Grade Curriculum
- Activities: Day-off Programming Days, Mentoring, Academic Support, Summer Program, Family Coordination, High School Navigation, PSAT prep, PVCC Lab School
- 10th - 12th Grade Curriculum
10th & 11th Grade
- Activities: Day-off Programming Days, Mentoring, Academic Support, Summer Program, Family Coordination, High School Navigation, PSAT prep, PVCC Lab School, UVA Internship, Workforce Prep, National & Global Experiences, FAFSA & Scholarships, Resume Building
- CAYIP Internship: Our rising 10th graders will engage in their first year of paid internship opportunities through Community Action Youth Internship (CAYIP). This spring, rising 10th grade scholars will learn the ins and outs of this internship program and will officially begin this summer (as part of our yearly camp). Rising 10th graders will no longer participate in the summer camp experience. They will transition into paid internships.
Post High School
- Activities: Social/Emotional Support, Summer Program Counselors, SHP Mentors & Tutors